Making News Exciting

Focusing on all areas of journalism

+%0AJunior+Hannah+Miller+interviews+junior+Owen+Marshall+for+Marshall%E2%80%99s+jCamp+website+bio.+This+journalism+camp+was+held+on+the+James+Madison+University+campus+to+help+journalism+students+polish+their+skills+over+summer.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Making News Exciting

Junior Hannah Miller interviews junior Owen Marshall for Marshall’s jCamp website bio. This journalism camp was held on the James Madison University campus to help journalism students polish their skills over summer.

Noah Siderhurst

Noah Siderhurst

Noah Siderhurst

When reading a news story, most people want to find something interesting or new. Plain text, just photographs, or just a map is not enough.

Students and teachers at jCamp, a journalism camp at James Madison University, believe all areas of journalism are necessary for an interesting story. While most mainly focus on one area of journalism, the campers and instructors know that they all fit together.

Text is important to tell the story, photos are important for visualization, videos are important to hear what is going on, and online media puts it all together.

“You have to have all of the senses. You have to see, hear, and experience the story. Your senses are reality,” Emilee Hussack, broadcasting instructor, said.

Most agree with Hussack. “A good story must have aspects for all different kinds of people,” Vivian Neal, writing student, said. She said she thinks that some people absorb information through visuals, some through text, and some through audio.

One goal of jCamp is to help students and teachers branch out and try something new related to journalism. Mallory Knupp usually writes stories, so when she was assigned to broadcasting, she had never tried it before.

“I enjoyed it. I was able to portray information in a different way,” Knupp said.

Other students have also gone out on a limb and developed a new talent. Online web design student Julienne Butler had never even attempted creating a website. She said that she thinks discovering a new talent is “more interesting because using different aspects tells a better story,” Butler said.

In order to have a colorful story that people want to read, all varieties of journalism are necessary. Students and teachers at jCamp said they are helping to make this happen by involving many different parts in each story.